Be sure to check out the SALES and CLEARANCE items on kitchen, home, and garden finds from my favorite home furnishing, food, and gift retailers 🙂
Savory Keto Stuffed Mushrooms are one of my favorite appetizers because they are easy to make ahead, delicious to eat, economical to serve to a small crowd, and the bonus is that they’re Keto.
At parties I host, I try to prepare at least three warm appetizers, my Keto Stuffed Mushrooms being among them. Preparing a few trays of these in advance and popping them in the warming oven keeps the snacks going while giving me the opportunity to enjoy my guests rather than being stuck in the kitchen. The ingredients in these Keto Stuffed Mushrooms is forgiving in the sense that your mushrooms will not have the chance to dry out in the warmer, even with gaps between plating them and refilling fading cocktail glasses. I make these with hot pork sausage, cream cheese, chopped garlic, and fresh chopped spinach. These two-bite nibbles get a shimmering finale from softly melted mozzarella cheese and fresh basil pesto. Visually, they are difficult to ignore without being curious as to how they taste. Even 'shroom haters will be intrigued…
If cooked wrong, mushrooms can be unpopular due to a rubbery texture. Savory Keto Stuffed Mushrooms do not have this problem thanks to a pre-assembly baking step, assuring a firm but tender mushroom, and a fantastic flavorful appetizer.
If you are reading this post as a regular follower of Not Entirely Average, then the cat’s out of the bag. You now, with this post, know my top three hot party appetizers. Well, warm party appetizers. That’s the beauty – warm, not hot. Literally, I make the same three every time I have a gathering. I simply adjust the number of pieces per person based on how many I know are coming.
In addition to these amazing mushrooms, Crostini with Brie, Coppa and Raspberry, as well as Elegant Eggplant Napoleonsare my go-to appetizers. Their components are easily able to be made in advance. Only minor assembly and plating required as guests begin to arrive. I flank these warmed appetizers with one or two antipasto boards. I will usually build one all meat and cheese, the other all roasted vegetables, olives, and cheese. My best china snacking plates, pretty napkins, glasses brimming with a quality Rosé or white, and some hipster Scott Bradlee postmodern cocktail party music in the background….
I try to assemble enough of these Savory Keto Stuffed Mushrooms so that guests won’t feel the need to elbow their way to the table to sample them before they disappear.
So, what is it exactly about these mushrooms? I don’t know, but I will give this guess my best shot. Spicy sausage, garlic, and pesto, the heat from which this combination gets balanced brilliantly by sweet cream cheese. And the cream cheese, well it makes them wonderfully rich. They are filling really, and that’s not by accident. I am serving alcohol, so I want guests to be snacking on heavy bites. A few freshly sliced baguettes offered nearby the antipasto platters assists with this also. As for avoiding a rubbery mushroom? I’ve got that covered, too. Again, just a bit of pre-planning, and no rubber mushrooms.
Did you know that it’s super easy to print out a version of a half recipe or even a double recipe on Not Entirely Average? Hover over the serving size (highlighted in blue, it says 24 on this recipe) and then slide the the white line to the left to make less or to the right to make more. This "calculator" allows you to play until you get the number of servings you want. Easy.
Ingredients for Savory Keto Stuffed Mushrooms
- 1 pound large cremini mushrooms, about 20 mushrooms stems removed and chopped
- 1/4 cup quality olive oil
- 1 1/4 teaspoons Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 pound hot/spicy pork sausage
- 4 to 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup fresh spinach leaves, stems removed
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup fresh basil pesto
Prepare the Mushrooms
* the following cook times are intended for LARGE mushrooms. If your mushrooms are not large, scale back the cook time to between 12 and 15 minutes for gill-side-up, and 5 additional minutes once mushrooms are flipped.
- Prepare a rack in the middle of your oven. Preheat oven to 450° degrees.
- Line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- In a large bowl, toss the mushrooms in the olive oil, salt, and pepper along with the juice of one half a fresh lemon. Roast large caps gill-side-up for about 20 minutes. This gives the mushrooms natural and flavorful juice a chance to pool in the rounded caps a bit.
- Flip over and cook another 10 minutes or until browned. Roasting on both sides allows the mushrooms to release any extra water.
- Remove the pan from the oven and leave mushrooms gill-side-down on baking sheet to drain and cool slightly while you prepare the filling. Reduce oven temperature to 350° degrees.
Make the Filling
- To a medium non-stick skillet, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Once shimmering, add minced garlic and cook, stirring 1 minute until fragrant. Add chopped spinach and cook 1 more minute. Add chopped mushrooms and cook another minute. Remove from heat.
- To a large non-stick skillet, over medium-high heat, add sausage and cook until sausage is browned and cooked through. Remove from heat and DRAIN WELL onto paper towels. Wipe out skillet and lower heat to medium.
- Return skillet to heat and add cream cheese. Hasten melting by breaking up with a rubber spatula. Add the garlic and spinach mixture to the cream cheese and continue to melt. Finally, add the sausage and stir to incorporate. Taste for addition of salt and pepper. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
Assembling the Savory Keto Stuffed Mushrooms
- Line a baking sheet with parchment.
- Spoon heaping mounds of the filling mixture into each mushroom cap and place on parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake on middle rack for 10 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 225° or preheat separate warmer oven. Sprinkle mushrooms with shredded mozzarella and place into warmer. Remove as needed to replenish rustic wood serving boards and serving platters.
- Allow to stand 5 minutes before serving. Drizzle with fresh basil pesto.
ESSENTIAL TOOLS FOR THE CHEF IN ALL OF US (CLICK OR TAP IMAGES FOR PRICING)