Servings: 8 slices
Want a bigger or smaller serving size? Hover over the serving size and move the bar until you get the number of servings you want. Easy.
Did you know that it’s super easy to print out a version of a half recipe or even a double recipe on Not Entirely Average? Hover over the serving size (highlighted in blue, it says 24 on this recipe) and then slide the the white line to the left to make less or to the right to make more. This "calculator" allows you to play until you get the number of servings you want. Easy.
Ingredients for A Walnut-Bottom Peach & Apple Pie
- 3/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 small eggs, each beaten and in separate bowls thin one beaten egg with 1 teaspoon of tap water; use this for the wash
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 teaspoons lemon juice, divided
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 3 cups sliced peeled tart apples, about 3 medium apples
- 2 cups fresh sliced peaches, stoned and void of skins
- 1 box fun-sized raisins
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Line a 9-inch pie plate with bottom pastry; trim even with edge of plate. Roll top pastry thin and to a 12" diameter. Using a sharp knife or a edger/pastry cutter, cut strips for lattice by cutting an even number of strips of pastry of the same width. If assembling flowers or leaves or a braided edge, roll any additional scraps and form according to instructional photos above. Set aside.
In a large bowl, combine the walnuts, brown sugar, egg, milk, 1 tablespoon butter, vanilla and 1/4 teaspoon lemon juice. Spread nut mixture over crust.
In a large bowl, toss apples, peaches, and raisins with remaining lemon juice. Combine the sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt; toss with fruit mixture. Spoon over the nut mixture and dot with remaining butter. Assemble the lattice crust by folding back every second strip of pastry onto itself, a bit more than halfway across the pie. Trim, seal and flute edges. Top with braided edge if using. Nestle roses and leaves in an opening between the lattice. See images above. Using a pastry brush top lightly with egg wash thinned with 1 teaspoon of tap water.
Bake at 375° for 50-60 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm with a scoop of French vanilla ice cream, or well chilled with freshly whipped sweetened cream.
Please note that the nutrition information provided above is approximate and meant as a guideline only.