Servings: 6 as a first course
Want a bigger or smaller serving size? Hover over the serving size and move the bar until you get the number of servings you want. Easy.
Did you know that it’s super easy to print out a version of a half recipe or even a double recipe on Not Entirely Average? Hover over the serving size (highlighted in blue, it says 24 on this recipe) and then slide the the white line to the left to make less or to the right to make more. This "calculator" allows you to play until you get the number of servings you want. Easy.
Ingredients for One Pot Creamy Chicken & Rice Soup
- 1/2 cup salted sweet cream butter
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped I am using Vidalia onion
- 2 stalks celery with leaves, chopped
- 3 large carrots, chopped
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 7 to 8 cups chicken stock, homemade if you have it
- 5 sprigs fresh parsley
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 3/4 cups cooked, chopped chicken I am using leftover rotisserie chicken
- 1 cup long cooking white rice I am using Carolina Gold Rice
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons dry sherry or cream sherry
- 1 tablespoon Kosher salt ** ** taste before adding and add if needed
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- additional decanter of sherry for passing, if desired
- lemon wedges for passing, if desired
Tie the parsley sprigs, thyme, and bay leaf together with a piece of kitchen twine and set aside.
Melt the butter in a large Dutch oven pot over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, and carrots and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 12 minutes.
Add the flour and cook, stirring with a wooden spoon, for 2 minutes more.
Pour in the stock and bring to a boil while whisking constantly. Add the tied bundle of fresh herbs (Bouquet Garni) to the soup. Lower the heat and add rice. Simmer for 15 minutes or until rice is cooked through.
Stir in the chicken and bring to a second boil. Remove from the heat.
Whisk the heavy cream, sherry, (and salt if using) into the soup and season with pepper to taste. Remove and discard the herb bundle. Divide among soup bowls and serve immediately with additional sherry and lemon wedges at the table.
Serving: 1servings | Calories: 689kcal | Carbohydrates: 50g | Protein: 41g | Fat: 35g | Saturated Fat: 18g | Cholesterol: 180mg | Sodium: 2121mg | Potassium: 542mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 6956IU | Vitamin C: 7mg | Calcium: 61mg | Iron: 2mg
Please note that the nutrition information provided above is approximate and meant as a guideline only.