Servings: 12 servings, 1 cup per serving
Want a bigger or smaller serving size? Hover over the serving size and move the bar until you get the number of servings you want. Easy.
Did you know that it’s super easy to print out a version of a half recipe or even a double recipe on Not Entirely Average? Hover over the serving size (highlighted in blue, it says 24 on this recipe) and then slide the the white line to the left to make less or to the right to make more. This "calculator" allows you to play until you get the number of servings you want. Easy.
Ingredients for Hearty Beef & Sausage Ragù
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped, about 1 cup
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, rough chopped
- 1/4 cup quality olive oil I am using Thea
- 1 pound high quality 80/20 ground beef
- 2 to 3 links high quality Italian sausage, casings removed and broken into large chunks
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- (2) 28oz cans whole San Marzano tomatoes in puree, plus I am using Strianese brand
- (1) 14oz can whole San Marzano tomatoes in puree
- (2) 6oz cans tomato paste
- 2 to 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon leaf oregano, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon leaf basil, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Sauté onion and garlic in olive oil over moderate heat until soft. Add both beef and sausage crumbles and brown well, stirring frequently.
Pour off all but 2 tablespoons of the fat from the pot. Return pot to moderate heat and deglaze pan with the red wine. Cook until almost all of the wine is evaporated.
Return pot with meat mixture to heat. Add the tomato paste and cook over moderate heat until paste begins to brown, about 5 to 8 minutes. Add the tomatoes and their juices, reduce heat to simmer, and cook 10 minutes more.
To the pot add the sugar, oregano, basil, salt, and pepper. Simmer low, uncovered, stirring frequently to ensure no sticking for 45 minutes or until sauce thickens, about 1 hour. The tomatoes will break down during the cook and stirring will hasten this process.
Stir in Parmesan cheese before serving.
Serve with a bright red wine and pass crusty bread with quality olive oil.
Serving: 1servings | Calories: 231kcal | Carbohydrates: 4g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 43mg | Sodium: 777mg | Potassium: 168mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 34IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 43mg | Iron: 1mg
Please note that the nutrition information provided above is approximate and meant as a guideline only.